Organic hulled Foxtail millet kichdi is one of the healthiest and tastiest recipes I love to eat every day. Millets are a group of highly variable small-seeded grasses, widely grown around the world as cereal crops or grains for fodder and human food. Both India and Africa stand at the top in the millet production ranking( with 97% of millet produced in developing countries). There are many varieties of millets available in the market today -pearl millet, barnyard millet, foxtail millet, finger millet, proso millet, Maize, little millet etc.
Millets are as versatile as brown rice, and are available in two forms – Hulled and unhulled(pearled). Hulled millets are true whole grains. It is produced by dehusking the whole millet grains.
What are the benefits of Foxtail millet?
Benefits are amazing. They are gluten–free and can be substituted for wheat or rice. Their protein value is superior to rice, wheat, and corn. Millets are considered as nutri-cereal as they are rich in protein, fiber and B vitamins, phosphorus, manganese. They also contain calcium, iron, and zinc. Consuming millets in the form of Porridge is a good idea for those who have diabetes. An ideal recipe for weight loss diet.
Organic Hulled millet can be cooked as porridge, kichdi, or can be added to soups, pilafs, risottos. They also can be complemented with sweet (I cook puddings or Paayasam(Indian)), savory or spicy foods. Flours can be used to prepare Indian Dosa, Flat bread-Rotis.
How to cook Hulled millets?
I prefer to soak them in water at least 3 hrs. And then I pressure cook them.
Where to buy Hulled millets?
I bought from ‘Fair price’ in Singapore(Origins health food). You may buy from any Indian grocery stores or Organic health food section of the supermarkets.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cooking Time||10 minutes|
|Refrigerator life||1 Week|
|Organic Hulled Millet||2/3 Cup|
|Carrot chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Beans chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Split GreenBean||1/4 Cup|
|Split Pigeon Pea||1/2 Cup|
|MTR Bisi Bele Bath Powder||2 Table Spoons|
|Tamarind Extract||1 Table Spoon|
|Indian Jaggery||1/2 Table Spoon|
|Onion Chopped||1/4 Cup|
|Salt||1 Table Spoon|
|Coconut Oil||1 Table Spoon|
|Cumin and Mustard seeds||1 Table Spoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1 Tea Spoon|
|Asafoetida (Hing)||Small pinch|
|Fresh curry leaves, rinsed
and destemmed (about 9-10 leaves)
Pressure cooker method 1:
1. Cook the soaked hulled millet and split beans and chopped vegetables in a pressure cooker with 1/2 Spoons of salt
2. Heat the oil in a large pan(I use the cast iron skillet). When the oil is heated add mustard seeds. When seeds begin to crackle, add cumin seeds, Turmeric powder, green chili, chopped onions, asafoetida, and curry leaves and sauté for 10 seconds
3. Add cooked split beans and tamarind extract, Indian Jaggery(Cane sugar jaggery), MTR Bisi Bele Bath Powder to the pan and stir well and simmer for 3 minutes with a continues stir
4. Then add cooked millet to the same pan and mix well, simmer for 3 minutes with a continuous to stir, turn off the flame
5.Garnish with cilantro and serve with Yogurt or Raita (Yogurt with chopped cucumber and onion)
Pressure cooker method 2: One pot
1. Heat the oil/ghee in a pressure cooker pan or pot(I use the cast iron skillet). When the oil is heated add mustard seeds. When seeds begin to crackle, add cumin seeds, Turmeric powder, green chili, chopped onions, asafoetida, and curry leaves and sauté for 10 seconds
2. Add all the vegetable and saute for 2-3 minutes
3. Add tamarind extract, Indian jaggery(Cane sugar jaggery), MTR Bisi Bele Bath Powder, Turmeric Powder, salt and saute
4. Add pre-soaked and washed Millet and split beans add water
5.Pressure cook on a medium flame for 2-3 whistles
6. After the pressure is released, open the cooker and mash gently
7.Garnish with cilantro and serve with Yogurt or Raita (Yogurt with chopped cucumber and onion)
I hope you will try this healthy hulled millet kichdi recipe and share the feedback in the comment section below.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. And do not forget to follow by Email, so that you will get an update on the latest recipe when I post. Just enter your Email and click ‘follow’ and then check your email and confirm subscription! That’s it!
#food #yummy #dinner #delicious #instafood #healthyfood #lunch#vegan#healthy #cooking#homemade#foodie #foodphotography #instafood #foodstagram #foodlover#buzzfeedfood#feedfeed#thefeedfeed#huffposttaste#foodprnshare#foods #foodgram #blogger #photography #cooking #yum #foodstyling #foody #sweet#lunch #fitness #chef #healthylifestyle #photooftheday #foodlove #vegetarian#vegan