Food provides us nutrition and hence food fuels our bodies. On the other side, food is a way of passing our tradition, and history to the future generation. On 6th of April, we have celebrated the beginning of the new year, -‘Yugadi‘ festival. It is a tradition to cook the sweet dish called ‘Holige‘ or Obbattu on this occasion. Holige is a Chickpea stuffed flatbread. It tastes sweet and has got a bright yellow color due to turmeric. The Holige can be prepared by using sweetened split Chickpeas, split Pigeon peas, dates, cooked sweet potatoes, or coconut as fillings.
My mom cooks the best holige/obbattu, my daughter says so! Cooking this sweet requires a lot of patience and expertise. I did try a couple of times before it took a perfect shape. This sweet is served with milk, Ghee or Cardamom and clove dipped Sugar syrup and ghee. It has 3 main steps.
3.Stuff the fillings inside and wrap and roll it like chapati /any other Indian flatbreads
|Prep time||1 hour|
|Cooking Time||30 minutes|
|Refrigerator life||1 week|
How to Prepare Holige/Obbattu fillings(Light brown color balls )?
|Soaked Split Chickpea||1 Cup|
|Indian Jaggery||1 Cup|
|Grounded organic Cardamom||1 Teaspoon|
1. Soak the split chickpea for 1 hour and rinse and cook them using the Pressure cooker(2-3 whistles) or in a pan with water (Soaked one will get cooked nicely)
2. Turn off the heat once cooked and allow it to cool and drain the excess water
3.Transfer the cooked Chickpeas to a cast iron pan and mix jaggery and cardamom powder and heat them on a medium-low heat
4. After adding Jaggery you will find the mixture will not be thick, heat and evaporate the excess water with continues stirring (else it may stick to the bottom of the pan)(it may take 10 -15 minutes)
5. Using the food processor, grind it to a paste and transfer the paste to a plate
6. Prepare small lemon shaped balls and keep them aside
1. Chickpea should be cooked properly and there should not be excess water before grinding
2. If you feel you are not able to make soft balls because the paste has more water in it, heat the paste again on the pan with continues stirring
3. At the same time, don’t overcook, they will become hard and may break when you roll them
How to prepare Holige dough (Light Yellow color)?
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup|
|Organic Coconut Oil||2-3 Tablespoons|
|Organic turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
- In a bowl, add whole wheat flour, semolina, turmeric powder, salt, 1 tablespoon of Oil and water and mix it
- Now add 2 tbs oil, knead the dough with oil. Also, let this oil float on the top of the dough
- Cover this and let it soak for 2 to 3 hours
- kneading and soaking with oil as in step 2 and 3 makes the dough elastic and it makes the texture of the Holige very crispy
How to prepare Holige/Obbattu?
- Grease the left-hand fingers and take the small portion of dough and spread it to make it flat (you may use rolling pins to flatten it)as shown in the picture
- On this flattened dough, place one filling ball and bring together the edges of the dough and press it at the center (cover with the dough)
- Flatten the center and gently roll the stuffed dough between your palms
- Dip it in the flour and roll it like chapati as thin as possible (you may sprinkle flour as needed)
- Heat the cast Iron Skillet and gently place the Holige on the skillet
- Flip it once you see some bubbles on Holige and roast on the other side
- Spread some Ghee or oil if you wish on both sides and place it on the plates
- Repeat the process for all the stuffed dough
- Now the Holige is ready to serve, fold them serve with Sugar syrup, milk or ghee
Yeah! I hope you’ll try this recipe- and share the feedback in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you all! If you like the recipe please don’t forget to like the recipe and share the recipe on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Pocket, Telegram, Whatsapp.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. And do not forget to follow by Email, so that you will get an update on the latest recipe when I post. Just enter your Email and click ‘follow’ and then check your email and confirm subscription! That’s it!