Beans are the best source of versatile protein and fiber. I stock up my pantry with many varieties of beans always. The beans are tasty when cooked with appropriate veggies and spices. There is something called “lentil-effect” or “second meal effect” describes the remarkable effect of beans to help control blood sugar levels for hours or even the next day after consumption. The high fiber content in them prevents them from getting digested quickly and their low sugar content prevents insulin from spiking in your bloodstream and making you hungry. They also keep the good gut bacteria happy. Legumes, beans, are part of both the protein group and the vegetable group, so they’re packed with protein, iron, zinc, fiber, folate, and potassium and also they are low in saturated fat and sodium and no cholesterol. Darker the color more nutrients they contain.
Micheal Greger says, ‘as per the studies, the areas around the world with the greatest longevity, the most people that live over a hundred, the one thing that all those areas share is legumes, actually, they eat bean-rich diets‘.
|Prep time||1o minutes|
|Cooking Time||20 minutes|
|Refrigerator life||3-4 days|
|Red bean||1/2 Cup|
|Broccoli (cut into florets)||1/2 Cup|
|Carrot (diced)||1/2 Cup|
|Any leafy green (Bokchoy)||1/2 Cup|
|Salt to taste||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium size|
|Coconut Oil( any plant-based oil)||2 Teaspoons|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Green Onion||2 stalks|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coconut cream||2 Tablespoons|
1. Soak the red beans for about 3-4 hrs or overnight and cook using a pressure cooker.
Note: when you soak, the quantity of the beans will increase and it will cook fast.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. When the oil is heated add cumin seeds, crushed garlic, chopped onions Turmeric powder, bay leaf, and curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds
3. Add diced carrots, Broccoli to the pan and saute for 2 minutes (sprinkle some water if required)
4. Add chopped Bokchoy and saute for 1 minute
5. Add salt to taste, chili powder(chili sauce can also be used) and stir well
6. To this same pan add cooked red bean and stir and simmer for 5-6 minutes, mix the lemon juice and garnish with coconut cream, parsley, or mint, or green onions and serve hot with rice or noodles
Note: You may drain off excess water after cooking red bean, but this water will be very nutritious so you may like to collect in a bowl and use it for soup. When I cook Red bean stew, I do not drain the red bean water and that helps me to make the stew less thick.
I hope you’ll try Vegan Redbean stew recipe and share the feedback in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you all! If you like the recipe please don’t forget to like the recipe on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Pocket, Telegram, Whatsapp.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. And do not forget to follow by Email, so that you will get an update on the latest recipe when I post. Just enter your Email and click ‘follow’ and then check your email and confirm subscription! That’s it